There is a variety of portable air purifiers available today, but understanding the difference can sometimes be a daunting task…especially if you have particular health needs.
You can find everything from electronic air filters to mechanical purifiers. And should you choose one with a HEPA filter or an ionic filter?
Is the housing metal, plastic or a combination of synthetic materials?
In order to choose the right type of air filtration for you or your family, it’s important to distinguish between them.
Here are the basic types of air purifiers on the market today that can meet just about any requirement you may have.
5 Types of Portable Air Purifiers
- Gas phase air purifier – While this type of air cleaner cannot clear allergenic particles from the air, it can remove indoor air pollution such as smells given off by building materials, perfume, paint or cooking gas.
- Ozone air filters – Ozone generators are not typically reliable systems to clean indoor air because they usually exceed the acceptable levels of ozone that is recommended. While it’s true that ozone can technically clear some particles from the air, most health care professionals don’t recommend this type. (These are not the same as electronic cleaners that use ion-type filters. See below.
- Electronic air purifier – This type of air cleaner uses electrical charges to capture irritants and allergens and then deposit them on collecting plates. The ion-chargers do produce some ozone byproduct, but are typically within medically acceptable levels. Their use is good for removing strong odors from indoor air and replacing with fresh smelling air.
- Mechanical Air purifier – Mechanical air cleaners force blown air, often through HEPA filters, that remove microscopic particles from the air. Toxins and allergens such as mold spores, pollen, pet dander, VOCs, dust mites, formaldehyde, radon and tobacco smoke are captured through these special filters. The fans can produce a slight ozone byproduct, but it generally at acceptable levels. Some even go a step further and also include UV light through which particles pass in order to eradicate mold spores.
- Hybrid air purifiers – Some air cleaners combine the specifications of both electronic and mechanical filtration to ensure a high level of clean air output.
“I’ve found that the best air cleaners are high quality mechanical air purifiers… and for certain environmental requirements, electronic air purifiers. It really depends on the particular situation you are in as to which filtration method is best.”
If you’re unsure of what type of air cleaner you need, we recommend choosing from among the best professional-grade, mechanical air purifiers. These types of portable air purifiers offer general, exceptional air cleaning capabilities, more than any other. There is a huge selection of models that offer superior air cleaning for just about any health condition or home requirement.