Probably the number one alternative method to whiten teeth at home is through various hydrogen peroxide teeth whitening methods. This type of peroxide is quite different than the carbamide peroxide found in gels that are offered through professional teeth whitening systems. It is milder, can be purchased over the counter at most drug stores and is very inexpensive.
A NYC Cosmetic Dentist, Dr. Thomas P. Connelly says, ” definitely use Hydrogen Peroxide in a variety of ways — generally in the areas of teeth whitening. To start, hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent, and can absolutely help in whitening teeth. In fact, many over-the-counter tooth whitening products have a good amount of hydrogen peroxide — sometimes as much as 10 percent (just to give you a point of reference, the brown bottles you buy are typically 3 percent.)”
Hydrogen Peroxide Teeth Whitening Benefits
Throughout the years, variations of this method have evolved as other ingredients are often added to create mixtures that elevate the effectiveness of these natural teeth whitening methods. While most of these remedies are used mainly to whiten teeth, there is an added benefit to the gums as well.
Hydrogen peroxide teeth whitening mixtures can:
- Promote good oral hygiene
- Fight periodontal disease
Bacteria can colonize around the teeth and develop into a major dental problem if left unchecked. A simple way to either keep this problem under control or to set up a first line of defense before the problem occurs, is to use one of the remedies to whiten teeth that include hydrogen peroxide.
How to Whiten Teeth with Hydrogen Peroxide
Here are several simply ways to whiten teeth naturally with a hydrogen peroxide based solution:
1. One of the simplest ways to make teeth white is to mix a small amount of peroxide with baking soda. In order to do this, simply make a wet paste that can easily be brushed onto teeth.
2. Brush for about 15 minutes a day for 2 days, after which users should see a noticeable difference in teeth. Always be careful not to swallow any of the mixture.
3. Another way to use peroxide is to use the 10% grade, if possible, since most drug stores generally carry the 3%. Mix a half cup of peroxide with a half cup of water. Swish in mouth well, brush with the mixture, then rinse mouth out. Again, be careful not to swallow any of the liquid. Users may see whiter teeth within a few days.
4. Some people use a combination of peroxide and baking soda blended with their favorite toothpaste. While this is not the total natural teeth whitening method that some prefer, users can see results within 2-3 days.
Remember, natural methods are usually not as aggressive in whitening teeth as chemically based products. There are many benefits to using these various methods to whiten teeth, such as:
- Low cost
- Ease of use
- Safe for most people
Before choosing a professional teeth whitening, remember to consider one of the hydrogen peroxide teeth whitening methods that can help whiten your teeth naturally.