The best way to avoid indoor air pollution from pesticides is to not use them at all. Research has shown that pesticides can be harmful to humans and pets, so it’s wise to find a way to manage pest around the house with alternative methods.
The best alternative is to implement an integrated pest-management program, with the most important element being prevention. It’s much easier to keep the pests away, than it is to try to get rid of them once they have infested an area of the home.
There are, of course, many natural and nontoxic pest control methods that can used if you find that you’re having a particular problem. Below, we mention two easy to use nontoxic pest control products that can be purchased that can be used safely when needed.
12 Easy Way to Avoid Pests at Home:
1. Keep window screens in good repair.
2. Store wood outside, away from the house.
3. Keep foundation shrubbery and other plants at least two feet away from the house.
4. Identify cracks and other openings which act as entry points for pests into your home and seal these areas with caulking or foundation fill.
5. If you have trouble with rodents, use steel wool or traps where they enter your home.
6. Store food in covered containers, not bags.
7. Keep surfaces free of food residues and do not leave trash or food out overnight or for extended periods of time. Also, keep garbage and clutter away from the outside of your home to avoid attracting rodents and insects.
8. Ants can be dissuaded from entering a home by sprinkling cayenne pepper across their point of entry.
NOTE: A nontoxic alternative to conventional, toxic ant spray, is to use Terro ant killer. This product comes in several forms and is relatively nontoxic and has no odor.
9. You can catch most crawling insects with pesticide-free glue traps available at hardware stores.
10. Correct indoor moisture problems which encourage pests such as silverfish, carpenter ants, and earwigs.
11. Give your pet oral flea and tick prevention medication.
12. Teach your children not to share combs, brushes, or head gear.
Another easy to use nontoxic pest product is Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for insect control around the exterior of the house as needed. It is safe and nontoxic.