One of the easiest ways to naturally detox the liver is by eating foods that are particularly good at cleansing this typically overworked organ in the body. Exposure to processed foods, environmental pollutants and heightened stress can cause toxicity to accumulate in the body. In order for the liver to work properly in removing these toxins, it’s imperative to keep it healthy.
Fortunately, there are a variety of foods that can cleanse the liver by helping to stimulate it safely and effectively. In order to get the most benefit, it’s best to eat organic foods in order to avoid even more toxins.
10 Best Foods that Naturally Detox the Liver
1. Garlic – It only takes a little bit of this strong smelling clove to activate the natural liver enzymes that help flush toxins. Garlic is high in selenium and allicin—both of which are compounds that help in liver cleansing.
2. Grapefruit – Grapefruit is high in antioxidants and vitamin C. It raises the cleansing processes of your liver so it can clean out toxins. Drink a glass of grapefruit juice a day in order to increase the level of detoxification enzymes in the liver so that carcinogens can be flushed out along with many other toxins.
3. Carrots and Beets – These foods are high in flavonoids and in beta-carotene. They stimulate the cleansing properties of the liver so it can rid the body of toxins. Beets are particularly famous for their ability to detox the liver, especially in juicing recipes.
4. Green Tea – This contains a great deal of catechins, which help the liver work better. Green tea offers many other health benefits as well, and is a great addition to your everyday diet.
5. Leafy Green Vegetables – These can be eaten juiced, cooked, or raw for better liver cleansing. They are all high in chlorophyll that is known to soak up environmental toxins from the bloodstream so the liver doesn’t have to work so hard. Add greens like spinach leaves, mustard greens, arugula, dandelion greens, bitter gourd, or chicory to your diet for a variety of flavors. Your bile production and bile flow will be better and wastes will be flushed from the blood and other organs.
6. Avocados – These squishy, fatty foods are truly a superfood. They make the body release glutathione, which is a compound that helps the liver filter dangerous toxins.
7. Apples – These contain a lot of pectin which keeps the toxins in the digestive tract until it is time to be cleansed by the liver. This controls the toxin load in the liver during the detoxification process. As mentioned earlier, be sure to choose organic apples in particular. Conventionally grown apples tend to have higher pesticide residue than some other fruits.
8. Olive Oil – Besides olive oil, you can make use of other cold pressed oils like flaxseed and hemp that are excellent for liver function as long as you don’t take in too much. These oils provide lipids that soak up nasty toxins in the bloodstream and helps protects the liver from getting overloaded.
9. Alternative Grains – These are especially good for you because they are a good replacement for grains that contain gluten. Good alternative grains include buckwheat, millet, and quinoa. Grains that have a lot of gluten in them are toxic for your liver and can cause health issues for some people.
10. Cruciferous Vegetables – Cauliflower and broccoli are two cruciferous vegetables that are great for naturally detoxing the liver. They increase the content of glucosinolate in the body which aids the production of liver enzymes. These enzymes will help flush away toxins and carcinogens from the body, which can decrease your chances of developing cancer.
Other Foods that Can Naturally Detox the Liver
There are, of course, other foods that can contribute to the health of your liver. These include limes, lemons, walnuts, turmeric, and cabbage. Eating healthy by adding the right fruits and vegetables to your diet can naturally detox your liver even as you enjoy a healthy diet. This gives you the benefit of overall better health now as well as guarding your health into the future.